Please note: To successfully run SAP BPC/4HANA on BW/4HANA
- The version for BW/4HANA must be BW/4HANA 2.0 SP01 or higher
- The version for UI5 must be SAP_UI 753 SP02 or higher
- The database must be a HANA database
- After installing all the required software components, make sure the version of BW/4HANA 2.0 DWCORE is 200.
Two approaches can be followed to convert your existing BPC solution to run on the latest SAP BW/4HANA platform.
Approach 1: Green fields implementation
A green fields implementation is recommended approach for customers moving from a legacy BPC system implementation to a new BPC implementation. This affords customers the luxury to evolve their existing planning solution alongside ever evolving business requirements as well to rethink and adjust elements of their legacy solution that was successful in support of the organization’s planning function and eliminate the elements that didn’t work so well or doesn’t fit in with new business requirements.
- Size your hardware appropriately to support your solution size.
- Acquire new hardware or choose to host your solution within hosting services like AWS or SAP Cloud Platform.
- Install SAP BW/4HANA with the BPC/4HANA add-on
- Perform post-installation configuration steps for the BPC/4HANA add-on
- Configure new HANA-optimized data models
- Build data loads, input templates, reports, logic and flows
Approach 2: Convert your existing BPC solution
Decide if an in-place or remote conversion of your existing BPC solution approach would be suitable. An in-place conversion transfers data models and flows to objects compatible with SAP BW/4HANA while a remote conversion entails installing a brand-new SAP BW/4HANA system and move entire/selected data flows without the need to perform a conversion of an entire legacy system. Both remote and in-place conversions are supported for BPC standard and embedded models.
Steps: In-place conversion (BPC standard and embedded models)
- In order to perform an in-place conversion of your BPC solution, your existing BPC solution should be running on the SAP HANA platform. If your current BPC solution is not running on the SAP HANA platform, an SAP HANA database migration should be performed as a first step.
- Ensure that your existing BPC solution is running/upgraded to run on BW 7.50 SP10 powered by SAP HANA as a minimum.
- Install the SAP BW/4HANA starter add-on
- Install the SAP BW/4HANA transfer toolbox
- Select and transfer the data models using the SAP BW/4HANA transfer toolbox
- Adjust any custom coding
- Run the system conversion
Steps: Remote conversion (BPC embedded models)
- Ensure that your existing BPC solution is running/upgraded to SAP BW 7.4/7.5 (on any database)
- Install SAP BW/4HANA with BPC/4HANA add-on
- Perform the BPC/4HANA post installation steps
- Install the DMIS Add-on
- Change all InfoCubes to ‘Loading’ mode before performing a remote conversion on your existing solution
- Disable the audit feature on all InfoCubes with the Audit feature enabled on your existing solution
- Transfer the data models
- Transfer the custom developments
- Change all the converted aDSOs to ‘Planning’ mode to ensure BPC functions will work
Steps: Remote conversion (BPC standard models)
- Run T-code UJBR and backup your existing BPC environment
- Apply SAP notes 2505668 and 2501622 to the BW/4HANA system
- Run T-code UJBR and restore your backed-up environment onto the BW/4HANA system – the ‘UJT_MIGRATE_101_TO_BPC4’ is integrated into the UJBR function and is therefor not necessary to execute as a separate step.
Information sourced and referenced from SAP note 2645732.